CJ has helped hundreds of people buy & sell in the Greater Ithaca area since 1996. She offers a unique combination of skills including top-notch marketing combined with the experience of successful negotiation. She attributes her success in the real estate business to excellent customer service, clear communications & a down-to-earth manner. Her motto is “Professional Advice with a Technological Edge!”
Have you ever heard the saying “If you want to get something done, give it to a busy person?” CJ handles 30-40 transactions every year, representing both buyers and sellers, while still balancing time volunteering in real estate locally and state-wide, and working with Ithaca’s youth as a hockey coach and mentor. Let her organizational skills and connections help you achieve your real estate goals!
CJ consistently performs in the top 5% in sales in the Ithaca Board of REALTORS®!
Check out her long list of homes listed/sold all around the Ithaca area over the past 20+ years.
Why hire CJ?
- If you’re planning on buying and would like to learn more about hiring your own buyers agent, click here to learn more About Buyer Agency. CJ has specialized training for buyer agency and over 20 years of experience helping buyers through the process.
- If you’re planning on selling, CJ will provide you with a thorough marketing plan, skilled negotiations and counseling throughout the process. Her past track record of sales is online at CJ Homes SOLD over the past 15 years. Check out her helpful page to get some ideas and tips about the process.
- Buying AND Selling? CJ can definitely help you accomplish both goals! Check her ongoing list of Testimonials for previous happy clients.
» If you are new to the area, CJ can give you a thorough tour of the Ithaca area and assist you throughout your relocation to this lovely Finger Lakes community.
REALTOR® of the Year, 2016
Ithaca Board of REALTORS®
Congrats video from Jman Maniero, fellow Realtor from Rochester NY:
CJ’s Educational Background:
She grew up on Sodus Bay, NY – located between Rochester and Syracuse off Lake Ontario. She graduated from Sodus Central School, was a member of National Honor Society and earned an English scholarship for college.
During her college years, she developed an interest in live theatre and enjoyed a 9-year career in the theatre arts. She worked at many fine theatres including Cornell Theatre, Corning Summer Theatre, the Ogunquit Playhouse, Ithaca College Theatre and Studio Arena Theatre in Buffalo NY. She worked mainly in Management and Marketing/Promotions.
CJ’s career in real estate started in 1994 when she was hired as General Manager of Housing Solutions – Ithaca’s largest apartment referral service matching landlords with prospective tenants.
1996 – CJ obtained her real estate license
1998 – Certified Buyer Representative certification
2000 – Associate Broker license
2008 – Graduate, REALTORS Institute®
2012 – NYS DOS Approved Real Estate Trainer certification
2013 – NYSAR Instructor Training Institute
CJ’s background in marketing, sales & management is a huge bonus for both buyers and sellers. She offers a creative edge in marketing homes for sale both in print and Internet media. CJ uses her experience in the market to help sellers pinpoint a realistic asking price which enables her to get homes sold quickly. For buyers, CJ provides a solid resource every step of the way, especially with first-time buyers. Through each client, CJ has gained increasing knowledge and expertise.
CJ’s Volunteerism in Real Estate:
CJ has been very active with the local REALTOR® association, the Ithaca Board of REALTORS®, since first becoming a REALTOR®.
She has served as President of the Ithaca Board (2004) and as State Director (2011-2013).
She was awarded the honor of “REALTOR® of the YEAR” in 2001, awarded to an agent who demonstrates professionalism & high ethical standards, volunteerism for the local board and also volunteerism in the community.
Some of the Ithaca Board of REALTOR® committee work CJ has performed since 1996 include:
- 2015: Chair, Inspction Schedule Task Force
- 2013: State Director serving on the Board of Directors; Chair, By-Laws Committee; Personnel Committee
- 2012: State Director serving on the Board of Directors; Chair, By-Laws Committee; Personnel Committee
- 2011: State Director serving on the Board of Directors; By-Laws Committee; Personnel Committee, RPAC Committee
- 2010: Chair-Grievance Committee; By-Laws Committee; Personnel Committee
- 2009: Chair-Grievance Committee; By-Laws Committee; Personnel Committee; Ithaca Building Search Task Force
- 2008: Grievance Committee; Education Committee; By-Laws Committee; Personnel Committee; Ithaca Building Search Task Force
- 2007: Chair-Technology Committee; Grievance Committee; Nominating Committee
- 2006: Chair-Technology Committee; Grievance Committee; Executive Officer Task Force Chair
- 2005: Immediate Past President-Board of Directors; Chair-Nominating Committee; Technology Committee
- 2004: President of the Ithaca Board of REALTORS; Chair-Personnel Committee
- 2003: President-Elect-Board of Directors; Chair-MLS Committee; Personnel Committee
- 2002: Treasurer-Board of Directors; Chair-Finance Committee; Education Committee; Co-Chair-RPAC Committee
- 2001: Secretary-Board of Directors; Chair-RPAC Committee; Finance Committee
- 2000: Chair-Advertising/PR Committee; Fair Housing
- 1997-2003 and 2005-2006: Board Newsletter Design/Layout
CJ has also very involved with the New York State Association of REALTORS® (NYSAR). Highlights in leadership roles for NYSAR include:
- 2017 - Elected to an officer position as President-Elect, serving on the Leadership Team.
- 2016 – Elected to an officer position as Secretary/Treasurer. As a member of NYSAR's Leadership Team, CJ oversaw a $6m budget serving a membership of over 53,000 Realtor members.
- 2015 – Chair of Organizational Planning, the committee that sets policy and reviews bylaws for the State Association
- 2013 – CJ was selected as 1 of 10 leaders to be a NYSAR Mentor…helping newer members learn about the state association and navigate the committee meetings, etc. as needed.
- 2012 – As chair of Professional Standards, CJ created a handout celebrating the 100th centennial of the Code of Ethics which was published on the National Association of REALTORS® website, REALTOR.org
- 2010 – As chair of Legislative Steering Committee, CJ lobbied in Washington DC for property rights and tax advocacy for NYS homeowners. She met with, among other federal legislators, NYS Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.
- 2009-2010 – CJ served as Regional Vice President for the Southern Tier representing the Ithaca, Cortland, Greater Binghamton, Elmira-Corning and Otsego-Delaware Boards of REALTORS®. Her main role was as a liaison between the leaders of these local boards and the state association leadership.
- 2006 – chair of Communications and Public Relations Committee, working with NYSAR staff on the NYSAR website and NYS REALTOR® magazine and the partnership with NYS SEMO on emergency relief efforts as needed in the Ithaca area.
Other Committee assignments completed at the state association include:
- 2013: Legal Action Committee, Professional Standards Committee, Executive Committee; Legislative Policy Forum; Organizational Planning; Mentor
- 2012: Chair, Professional Standards Committee and Professional Standards Steering Committee; Executive Committee; Legislative Policy Forum; Legal Action; Mentor
- 2011: Vice-Chair, Professional Standards Committee and Professional Standards Steering Committee; Executive Committee; Legislative Policy Forum
- 2010: Regional Vice President, Southern Tier Region; Chair, Legislative Steering Committee and Legislative Policy Forum; RPAC Trustees; Executive Committee, Organizational Planning Committee
- 2009: Regional Vice President, Southern Tier Region; Vice-Chair, Legislative Steering Committee and Legislative Policy Forum; MLS Committee; Executive Committee; Organizational Planning Committee
- 2008: Legislative Steering Committee; Legislative Policy Forum; Organizational Standards Committee; Technology Committee; MLS Committee
- 2007: Vice-Chair-Member Services Committee; Chair-Organizational Standards Subcommittee; Technology Committee; MLS Committee
- 2006: Chair,-Information Management Committee; Technology Committee; MLS Committee; Member Services Committee; NYSAR REALTOR of the Year Selection Committee
- 2005: Vice-Chair-Information Management Committee; Technology Committee; MLS Committee; Member Services Committee
CJ’s Volunteerism in the Ithaca Community:
CJ believes very strongly in giving back to the Ithaca community. She supports affordable housing programs in the Ithaca area and is proud of her work with Better Housing for Tompkins County. She was on the Board of Directors from 2003 to 2009 and was Chair of the Board from 2006-2008. A highlight with the organization was the development of their forward-thinking Strategic Plan.
CJ also uses her marketing degree in an advisory role as a member of Tompkins County’s Public Information Advisory Board, which she has served on since 2008. This group advises the county’s Public Information Department on a variety of local communication issues including presentation of the County budget and overseeing the County websites. CJ helped Tompkins County unveils the brand new website which has been a multi-year project involving dozens of county departments.
2013-2015: As an active Cornell alumnae, CJ served as President of the Cornell Alumni Association of Ithaca Area (CAAIA). The club organizes events for Cornell Alumni in and around the Ithaca area. Events support the Arlene S. Sadd Scholarship which provides a multi-year scholarship to a local Tompkins County student. Other events support local businesses owned and operated by Cornell alumni, as well as new projects at Cornell University.
2012-2013: As a Lansing resident, CJ served as a member of the Lansing Sewer Committee which was charged with bringing a new sewer district to the Town of Lansing. The focus of the proposed new sewer district was to allow planned development of affordable senior housing, retail, medical and office spaces. The Committee successfully obtained a $2.5m grant from the Southern Tier Economic Development grant program.
CJ’s Passion for Ice Hockey:
CJ is a huge fan of ice hockey and has also played recreationally for many years. Currently she plays for the local women’s team the Ithaca Sirens.
She started coaching girls hockey for the Tompkins Girls Hockey Association in 2008 and is now a Level 3 USA Hockey certified coach. She has been head coach and assistant coach for ages 6-13. You will find her either at The Rink in Lansing and Cass Park downtown throughout the hockey season.
CJ enjoys teaching young girls to develop their love of hockey & hockey skills but also teaching such life lessons as good sportsmanship, teamwork, respecting your peers and dedication/hard work!
CJ enjoys many other activities/interests including being outdoors fishing, boating and roller blading. Her background in Natural Resources gave her a lifelong appreciation of the natural world/biology and she has a keen interest in the interaction of the environment and society. She also has a love for fine art and especially enjoys traveling.
She lives in the Town of Lansing with her husband Norm Croft (a 4th generation ‘Lansing son’ who is also a descendant of Lansing’s famous Andrew Myers – for whom Myers Park is named). Norm is also a retired ice hockey player/coach.
CJ is deeply rooted in New York State having lived in Sodus, Ithaca, Corning, Buffalo, and Rochester.
She is a great ambassador for Ithaca NY!
As a real estate licensee, CJ is required to take 22.5 hours of Continuing Education coursework in real estate every 2 years. Over the past 20+ years, CJ has taken numerous courses to enhance her negotiating and marketing skills. Here's a list of the courses she's taken since 1996:
Sales and Negotiating Courses:
- Black Belt Negotiating
- Negotiating—What’s Mine is Mine, What’s Yours is Negotiable
- Negotiating Tools—Serving Buyers & Sellers During Multiple Offers
- Commercial Boot Camp for Residential Agents
- Absorption Rate Pricing
- Stay on Top Tomorrow with Today’s Top Trends
- Customer Service Strategies and the Web
- Be All That You Can Be-The Making of a Real Estate Pro
- How to List Builder’s Homes
- Local History Door by Door—Architectural Styles
- Rich Levin Listing Training Seminar
- David Knox: Structuring Your Listing Presentation
- Certified Buyer Representative Course (22.5 hours)
- Commercial Boot Camp for Residential Agents
- Matrix MLS Training
- Property Maid or Property Manager?
Tax and Legal Coursework
- The Reverse for Purchase Mortgage
- Short Sales– Moving Targets in Challenging Markets
- The Next Wave: Working with REO Properties
- VA Home Loans
- Real Estate as an Investment
- Financing to Increase Homeownership
- Reverse the Purchase Mortgage
- Foreclosures & Fraud—The Effect on Neighborhoods
- Wealth Building & Tax Strategies for Real Estate
- Tax Talk for Real Estate Professionals
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Alternative Services
- Risk Reduction for the In-House Sale
- General Business Law; Contract Law
- Real Estate and Taxes—What Every Agent Should Know
- NYS Legal Update
Environmental and Structural Coursework
- Ride the Green Wave-What is the High Performance Home?
- Red Flags in Housing Structures and Systems
- This Mold House
- Environmental Quality in Homes
- Construction and Environmental Issues...Helping Clients Achieve Their Goals
- Changes in the National Flood Insurance Program and FEMA Mapping
Code of Ethics/Professional Standards/Fair Housing Training
- Code of Ethics & Professional Standards from NYSAR and NAR (2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015)
- Agency: NYS Agency Relationships; Agency Done Right; Ethiquette
- Fair Housing Courses—required every 2 years for license renewal; Fair Housing in Rentals; Fair Housing in NY
Also an approved Department of State NYS Real Estate Instructor
- Teaches the National Association of REALTORS® required Code of Ethics course
- Teaches the Ithaca Board of REALTORS® Orientation class sections on Agency and Code of Ethics
Graduate, REALTORS Institute (GRI) Coursework - 90 hours (2008)
- Building Your Real Estate Practice
- Price it Right—Close More Deals
- Effective Real Estate Practice—Skills to Put You on Top
- Real Estate Legal Issues—Not Knowing Can Be Dangerous
- Financing to Increase Homeownership
- Serving Real Estate Investors
- Real Estate Service Strategies in the Information Age
- Construction & Environmental Issues
- Equal & Ethical Service for Today’s Consumer