Ithaca is a great place to live, work, and play! CJ has spent years compiling resources that help showcase all that our area has to offer.
Below are a series of “Top 10” lists that explore the wonderful aspects of living in Ithaca, New York! There are also helpful links for those moving into the area as well as a collection of photos taken by CJ DelVecchio in and around Ithaca and the Finger Lakes area.
CJ is a wealth of information have lived and worked in the area for over 20 years. Let her knowledge and expertise guide you when making your important real estate decisions!
Enjoy the tour!
Ithaca is a beautiful place to work, live, and play. Here are a collection of photos taken by CJ DelVecchio in and around Ithaca and the Finger Lakes area.
What's SO great about Ithaca NY*: kudos kudos kudos!
- August 2016: Cornell University and Ithaca College ranked in Top 30 List of LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges & Universities by Campus Pride Index.
- April 2016: Ithaca is ranked the #2 Best Small College Town by USA Today.
- March 2016: Men's Journal names Ithaca one of ten Best Places to Live.
- January 2016: Ithaca named Coffee Capital of New York State.
- September 2015: Ithaca named Healthiest City in New York State by 24/7 Wall Street.
- April 2015: Ithaca ranked among the 20 Best College Towns in America
- March 2015: Ithaca named among best small cities for young single women.
- March 2015: Robert H. Treman State Park named Best Swimming Spot in New York State.
- February 2015: Ithaca is rated 10 Cheapest Urban Cities for TwentySomethings.
- May 2014: Ithaca named 9th Most Exciting College Towns by MSN Real Estate.
- April 2014: The Finger Lakes is ranked the #8 must-visit spot on the "Wine Tours of the World" feature from ABC News.
- April 20914: Tompkins County is named the #2 "Healthiest County in New York" by CountyHealthRankings.org.
- March 2014: Ithaca named the #10 best New York art spots that aren't in NYC by the Huffington Post.
- March 2014: Tompkins County named a top producer of notable baby-boomers by The New York Times,
- January 2014: Ithaca named one of "America's Most Romantic Towns" by Travel + Leisure,
- November 2013: Ithaca named #1 Best College Town by The 2013-2014 AIER College Destinations Index.
- October, 2013: ranked #3 "10 Secretly Amazing Cities for Wine Lovers" - MSN Real Estate online,
- October 2013: Ithaca is Ranked #1 "America's Best College Towns" by HomeInsurance.com
- September 2013, Ithaca is Ranked #1 "Top 10 Cities You Want to Walk to Work" by MSN Real Estate online.
- September 2013: Finger Lakes Region is Ranked "America's Top 10 Lakes to Visit this Fall" - The Daily Beast online - Conde Nast Traveler.
- August 2013: Ithaca named in "Top 25 Youngest Best Places to Live - America's Best Small Towns" - CNN Money.
- August 2013 Cornell University ranks #5 "Ten Coolest Schools" - Sierra Magazine,
- August 2013 Ithaca College Among Nation's Best; Ranks Radio #1 & Theater #7 - Princeton Review (link to The Ithacan)
- August 2013: Ithaca ranks #4 for "10 Most Livable Cities" - MSN Real Estate News.
- July 2013: Ithaca Farmers Markets Ranks #4 in "8 Must-Visit Farmers Markets Around the U.S." - Zagat.com
- July 2013: Ithaca ranked #8 - "10 Great Places to Live" by Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine.
- July 2013: Ithaca ranked #3 of US Cities for Work-Life Balance by NerdWallet.com
- June 2013: Ithaca named #1 Smartest City in America by VentureBeat online, (based on study by Luminosity)
- January 2013: Ithaca named #1 best college town in America - "Top 10 Best College Towns in America" by Business Insider.
- November 2012: The 10 Best College towns in America: Ithaca NY #1
- October 2012: Farmer's Insurance Groups "Most Secure Places To Live"- Ithaca #1 (Small Cities Under 150k residents)
- October 2012: America's Best College Destimations, American Institute for Economic Research: Ithaca #1
- October 2012 ranked "#1 College Destination" by American Institute for Economic Research,
- October 2012: Ithaca named "Most Secure Place to Live" for municipality with less than 150k residents by Farmers Insurance Group
- September 2012: Ithaca ranked one of the "Best River Towns in America" by Outside Magazine
- August 2012: Cornell ranked #5 in the "Top 25 Colleges for Outside Readers" from Outside Magazine
- July 2012: Ithaca ranked #5 in "The 10-Best Cities for Millennials," by Moving.com and 24/7WallSt.com
- June 2012: Ithaca ranked #1 for "Prime Workforce Growth" among 365 metro statistical areas, Area Development Magazine
- May, 2012: Ithaca ranked 3rd best city for "Finding Employment Right Now," Forbes
- May, 2012: Cayuga Scenic Byway ranked "Top 10 All American Road Trip" by Yahoo Travel
- April 2012: Ithaca ranked top-10 in "Great Quirky Places to Retire," AARP Magazine
- October 2011: Top 10 Best Places to Retire in 2012 - Yahoo Finance
- September 2011: Cornell 19th on 2011 Working Mother 100 Best Companies
- September 2010: Bon Appetit's Most Foodiest Towns - Runnerup
- September 2010: Ithaca Tops List of College Destinations Index 2010
- June 2010: Best Cities for College Grads - The Daily Beast
- Jan. 22, 2009 Ithaca ranked a top-10 city for job-seeking retirees, US News.
- February 2009: Where Collaboration is Key - USairwaysmag.com
- Dec 2008: Ithaca #1: Best Middle-Class Housing Market - Yahoo Real Estate
- Oct. 2008: Ithaca's Gimme! Coffee ranked #2 in "9 Great Coffees," by Saveur magazine, iss. 114.
- Sept 2008: Cornell University named #1 employer for people over 50 by AARP Magazine.
- Sept 2008:Ithaca ranked #1 "green commuter" city by AARP Magazine.
- Aug 2008: Ithaca Beer named New York's #1 craft brewer at the annual Tap NY Festival.
- Aug 2008: Ithaca ranked #6 in "The 20 Best Towns in America" by Outside magazine.
- April 2008: Ithaca's EcoVillage selected as a top-8 "Ecotopia" by Forbes magazine.
- April 2008: Ithaca chosen as a top-10 global travel destination by Gore-Tex and the Adventure Travel Trade Association.
- Feb. 2008: Ithaca ranked 2nd in Smart Money magazine's "7 Best Places to Retire in an Economic Downturn,"
- Feb 2008: Ithaca ranked third among "America's Smartest Cities," by Forbes Magazine.
- Dec 2007: schools ranked 2nd nationwide among metro areas under 500,000 by Expansion Management Magazine.
- Dec 2007: Ithaca ranked third in Farmers Insurance study, "Most Secure Places to Live - Small Towns,"
- April 2007: Ithaca ranked third in Relocate America's "Top 100 Places to Live in 2007," Relocate-America.com.
- April 2007: Ithaca ranked second in "Best Green Places to Live," by Country Home magazine.
- March 2007: Ithaca listed as one of the 10 "Best Places to Live" for gays and lesbians by The Advocate. The Advocate is the nation's leading LGBT publication
- July/Aug 2006: Ithaca ranked first in "12 Great Places You've Never Heard Of," Mother Earth News magazine.
- July/Aug 2006: Ithaca ranked among the "12 Hippest Hometowns for Vegetarians," VegNews magazine.
- June 2006: Ranked eighth in "50 Smart Places to Live", Kiplingers Personal Finance.
- April 2006: Ithaca ranked 17 nationwide among the "Best Places for Business and Careers," Forbes magazine.
- April 2006: Ithaca ranked fourth in Relocate America's "Top 100 Places to Live in 2006," Relocate-America.com
- March/April 2006: Ithaca Rated Number-One City for Knowledge Workers, "College Towns Are at the Heart of the Knowledge Sector Economy," Expansion Management magazine.
- March 2005: Ithaca Rated "12 Great Places to Retire", Kiplingers Personal Finance.
- January 2004: Ithaca Rated Number-One Emerging City In the book, "Cities Ranked and Rated" by Bert Sperling and Peter Sander.
- September / October 2003: "Best healthy city in the Northeast," Organic Style Magazine.
- September 2003: Ithaca Ranks 14 in Outside Magazine's "40 Best College Towns.
- November 2002: "Best Lesbian Places to Live - The Ten Lesbian-Friendliest Cities in the USA," Girlfriends Magazine.
- June 2002: "America's Five Best Mountain Biking Towns" Bike Magazine.
- April 2002: "Best Places to Vacation," Money Magazine.
- March/April 2002: "100 Great Escapes: Top-10 Trips," Travel & Leisure Magazine.
- Feb 2002: "American Values - Where to Buy a Retirement Home," Smart Money Magazine.
- January 2002: The Ithaca Farmers Market named one of the "60 Best American Public Places," Utne Reader.
- winter 2001: "Best Fly Fishing Through North America, Fish and Fly Magazine.
- July/ August 2001: "25 Terrific Places to Bring up a Family," Mothering Magazine.
- Ithaca #2: Best Place to Retire - MSN/Smart Money Online
- Ithaca: Great Homes and Destinations - NYTimes Online
- May 1997: "America's Most Enlightened City," Utne Reader.
Ithaca’s many “Top 10” listings according to the Ithaca/Tompkins County Convention & Visitors Bureau:
- “America’s Most Enlightened City,” Utne Reader, May 1997.
- "25 Terrific Places to Bring up a Family," Mothering Magazine, July/ August 2001.
- "Best Fly Fishing Through North America, Fish and Fly Magazine, winter 2001.
- "60 Best American Public Places," Utne Reader, January 2002.
- "American Values—Where to Buy a Retirement Home," Smart Money Magazine, February 2002.
- "100 Great Escapes: Top-10 Trips," Travel & Leisure Magazine, March/April 2002.
- "Best Places to Vacation," Money Magazine, April 2002.
- "America's Five Best Mountain Biking Towns" Bike Magazine, June 2002.
- "Best Lesbian Places to Live-The Ten Lesbian Friendliest Cities in the USA," Girlfriends Magazine, November 2002.
- “Best healthy city in the Northeast,” Organic Style Magazine, September/October 2003.
- "An artist-friendly alternative to New York and Los Angeles," By Susan M. Brackney in her book, “The No-so-Lost Soul Companion,”. Oct. 2002.
- "Number-One Emerging City," in the book “Cities Ranked and Rated” by Bert Sperling and Peter Sander, 2004.
- "12 Great Places to Retire", Kiplingers Personal Finance, March 2005, by Pat Mertz Esswein, Mary Beth Franklin and Magali Rheault.
- Ranked eighth in "50 Smart Places to Live", Kiplingers Personal Finance, June 2006, by Sean O'Neill.
- Number-One City for Knowledge Workers, “College Towns Are at the Heart of the Knowledge Sector Economy,” Expansion Management magazine, March/April 2006, by Bill King and Michael Keating.
- Ithaca ranked 17 nationwide among the “Best Places for Business and Careers,” Forbes magazine, April 2006.
- Ithaca ranked among the “12 Hippest Hometowns for Vegetarians,” VegNews magazine, July/Aug. 2006.
- Ithaca ranked first in “12 Great Places You’ve Never Heard Of,” Mother Earth News magazine, July/Aug. 2006.
- Ithaca ranked second in “Best Green Places to Live,” by Country Home magazine, April 2007.
- Relocate America's Top 100 Places to Live, 2007
- "Most Secure Places to Live - Small Towns" by Farmers Insurance study, December 2007
- Ithaca Schools ranked 2nd nationwide among metro areas under 500,000 by Expansion Management Magazine, December 2007
Also click here to learn about Cornell University KUDOS
CJ's Helpful Links for Buyers and Sellers
Here are several links that you will find useful whether you're buying or selling in the Ithaca area - courtsey of CJHOMES.com!
Ithaca's Educational Links:
Tax Assessment Links:
- Tompkins County Assessment Department
- Tompkins County Tax Rates
- Cortland County Assessment Department & Tax Rates
- Tioga County Assessment Department
- Tioga County Tax Rates
- Cayuga County Assessment Department
- Cayuga County Tax Rates
- Schuyler County Assessment Department
- Seneca County Assessment Department
- Seneca County Tax Rates
- Chemung County Assessment Department
- Chemung County Tax Rates
- Broome County Assessment Department
Government and Economic Links:
- Economic Activity in Tompkins County
- Tompkins County Government
- Tompkins County Chamber of Commerce
- Trumansburg Chamber of Commerce
CJ's Top 5 Fun Things to Do Links:
- Check the Ithaca Calendar of Events
- Kitchen Theatre Company
- Hangar Theatre
- New York State Parks
- The Sciencenter
CJ's Top 5 Parks and Recreation Links:
CJ's Top 5 Restaurants in Ithaca:
- Maxie's Supper Club & Oyster Bar, West End
- Glenwood Pines, West Hill
- Uncle Joe's Sports Bar, Downtown
- Taste of Thai, West End
- Sumo Hibachi
CJ's Top 5 Pizza Places in Ithaca:
- Nines, Collegetown - best deep dish!
- Sal's Pizzaria, West End
- Napoli, Downtown
- Italian Carry Out, South Hill
- Ned's, Cayuga Heights
CJ's Top 5 Other Foodie Links: